Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ink Pink - not a virtuous greenie

I am not some sort of 'alternative lifestyler'. If I did not have MCS I would have a cupboard full of beauty products, a full face of makeup & a closet full of rayon. But here is the truth.

I brush my teeth with calcium powder. There are no toothpastes natural or other I can use anymore.

My skincare consists of soap made from olive & coconut oils and not much else. On my face I use a product that has 2 ingredients: 1 is water, the other I'm pretty sure if I remember right from my psych study is from eyeballs. It's expensive & commercial & I am happy to use it as my skin is so thin & dry. I then put a layer of moisturiser made only from vege oils on top. I often joke the moisturiser (which is also use for legs, hands, body) is "salad dressing - without the vinegar".

There is no makeup - though I keep 2 tubes of lippy on the off-chance that one day I will be able to tolerate these (they are all "natural").

I wash my hair in warm water. When I've had heavy fragrance exposure I wash it with a chemical free shampoo. This happens possibly twice a month.

My clothing is all cotton or wool. I don't know why, but when I wear synthetics I get a rash.

My food is organic. The chances of reacting to non organic produced foods is high (severe tummy pains that last days) & the chance of reacting to organics is much lower. Though I still react sometimes. My foods are limited to about a dozen or so. One of which is sugar :o).

Whenever I go out I carry or wear a mask.

Whenever I have someone in I wear a mask.

If you hug me I will need to change clothes and maybe take a bath.

Whenever I have someone in it takes 2 -3 hours to get rid of the 'chem trail' with an industrial strength air purifier, and requires washing of the throw rugs they have sat on & airing the sofa. I end up isolated in 1 room while this process is ongoing.

Cleaning of the house is done with water & elbow grease. Bicarb soda is the other product & occasionally vinegar (but not often).

I am not selling this lifestyle. It is not an 'ideal' I aspire to or think others should. I guess it kind of sucks. But to be honest I don't worry about it. It is just the way things are. Who cares what I brush my teeth with - if the dentist is happy & I am happy then all is good.

There's a few of us out there though, we have to live this way, we can't pick & choose. We're not the "virtuous green". We're this way because there is no other choice.

By the way, if you meet someone with a cold, run & don't walk the other way. The one going around is vicious :S.

No comments:

Post a Comment