Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Sound of Music

Not the musical, my house.

Yes, I've been absent 6 months. I'll cover that later. But for now, I just have to share...

My Dad loaned me his precious acoustic guitar (he got a new model) & I have been having a glorious time with it thanks to www.justinguitar.com where I'm learning to play. I love this guy, he's brilliant - a great teacher.

So I've been learning a couple of months (I've never played guitar before) & I'm loving it! It's hard to put down. The cat is just beginning to figure out that he really can't access my lap when there's a guitar on it. Best of all, he's no longer afraid of it.

The next awesome & related news is my new piano. Now just to be clear I have been very anti the idea of a digital piano - after all they'll never be the real thing - those shiny plastic keys are not something you can compare with "tinkling the ivories". But...

The other day me & Dr Pink went to look at one of these monsters - and yes I was put off by those shiny plastic keys...and then I saw it's neighbour - "ivory touch" (i.e. plastic, but not shiny & they've tried to make it feel like ivory with a tiny bit of matte texture). It was when it was switched on & I touched the keys that I was sold. Love at first sound. It also helps that it didn't have all the ugly buttons the others have. It's super pretty.
I have a black one, so I didn't feel like I was playing an iPod. It has 88 keys (Brian Eno, a grand piano has 88 keys - 88 not 84!). Sorry folks, Brian Eno was on a podcast I listened to last night when he made this criminal error.

Madly in love with this & the guitar I am kept busy between both - and resting, so I can keep up playing both. And thank goodness for online lessons. Justin whose site I mentioned earlier, has something very special going on there. I'm taking piano lessons at https://www.webpianoteacher.com/, which is nothing like Justin's friendly site but Shawn's lessons are good & easy to follow - if you can find them on the crazily (dis)organised site.

I hope you haven't missed me too much. Alright, yes I missed you too. This is the first blog in a while & now I have to go sort out my domain name & make sure it's up to date (pretty sure I've let it lapse *sigh*).

No comments:

Post a Comment