Thursday, November 25, 2010

Peeling the layers of the onion

It started a while before the onions actually.

Nail polish & chemical cleaning products (Ah, windex my nemesis). Those were the first inklings.

But that was only the beginning. Paints were next...and then came the onions.

Don't get me wrong: I love onion. In theory. But raw in my own house, or cooked to mush by a downstairs neighbour, it doesn't matter, they have me heaving.

This was when we started "peeling back the layers of the onion". Not literally of course. That would be stupid.

It hasn't ended yet. I haven't made it right to the core of the onion, I haven't peeled away all of the layers of things that make me ill.

From the outside, because there are less and less things I can tolerate I know it looks like I'm getting sicker. But these things have been making me ill the whole time, I just hadn't noticed because I had to deal with the "outer layers" first.

Giving up things is not nearly as hard as holding on to them, knowing they make you ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment