Tuesday, November 2, 2010

DIY pampering

Last time I went to a beauty salon (about 4 years ago) I ended up with an awful rash over my legs from the hot wax. The thing was I'd had the same reaction but worse the time before, and apparently so had the beauty therapist & several other of her clients. And yet there I was, back again.

Those of us with chemical sensitivity might not be able to get to the "beauty" salon but there's no reason we can't look hot as a meat pie that's been sitting in a pie warmer for 5 hours. We're still human, even if we're mostly the indoor, hermit type of human. And we all know beauty is on the inside (like guts & other important bits).

Meanwhile for when I get a bit vain, here are my favourites for do it yourself pampering:

Skin brushing/dry body brushing. I use a wood handled brush with cactus bristles from the Body Shop. Never thought I'd be caught doing that but it's really nice. And I reckon it definitely, definitely counts towards my daily exercise quota.

Bath with magnesium/epsom salts. Eases aches & pains. Not too hot as the heat can be energy sapping but just comfy & warm.

Mini pedicure. A pumice stone is brilliant for this, especially the rough areas such as heels. Trimmed & filed nails & I'm set. If I'm really lucky, someone else will do it for me :o)

Might not be able to manage a wax but I still have my tweezers for the eyebrows & in one of my bottom drawers is an epilator. Yes, they're exactly as scary as they sound, but you get used to them (sort of).

My absolute fave is the meditation, which I do loads off, mostly because I can't do loads of anything else, but also because it leaves me feeling sublime.

I do still have to skip the lipstick & I have to pop on a stunning little carbon filter face mask before I go out the door (usually to go about as far as a doctor's appointment). But beauty is a state of mind, and some days I am gorgeous as any magazine model! Or at least that meat pie in the pie warmer.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great, InkPink!

    Good on you for looking after yourself in a way that works for YOU :-)

    p.s. I've seen a couple of pics of you, and you do look pretty darn gorgeous! :-)

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was lying listening to Mice & Men on audio book with one leg up in the air epilating yesterday afternoon :o). As you do.

    Thanks hon, I know you're quite the hottie yourself.

    ReplyDelete